The river Lambro originates from the heart of the Lariano Triangle, from the mountains of San Primo beyond the Ghisallo, in the District of Magregio, and runs for the whole Brianza region, crossing Monza Park and flowing then in the river Po.
The special relation with the river can be seen since the first maps of Monza Park. As a prove of this landscape but also practical interest, on the river Lambro there are still bridges and sluices built in the past centuries. In fact, the whole complex water system of the Park is connected to this river. Nowadays, around the river wide wooded areas are left, where the most common trees are oak trees, most of them monumental and extremely ancient. Furthermore, there are poplars, willows, black alders, ashes and linden trees. These reflect their golden crowns in the river’s water during the autumn.
Since the first maps of Monza Park it seems clear that the relation with the river would have been a main point in the project and in the life of the park itself. It is possible to notice, indeed, how different solutions have been coming one after another in time to change the river flow inside the Park. In addition to small variations in the dimensions of the river meanders, the biggest difference between the suggested plans in 1808 and those made later in 1814 regards the area behind Villa Mirabello. In the former, between Villa Mirabello and the Rotonda dei Liriodendri, there is a landscape lake of outstanding proportions, with a green isle, on whose banks a building can be seen. This is probably the Mill of Cantone. The lake is not in the following maps anymore and in its place a big river meander is drawn with many sluices. This configuration can still be seen. As a prove of the landscape but also practical interest, on the river Lambro there are still five bridges of the nineteenth century, two big sluices with a waterfall and in San Giorgio, just beyond the borders, a third sluice from which the Roggia Molinara originates. In fact, the whole complex water system of the Park is connected to the river Lambro: it has its origin from the river and flows back to the river at the end.
In Canonica’s project, the areas around the river course are destined to the creation of wooded zones. Nowadays, along the river banks, the most common tree species is the plan tree, also monumental and extremely ancient ones. Moreover, there are also poplars, willows, black alders, ashes and linden trees, which reflect their golden crowns in the river’s water during the autumn. In the undergrowth black elders, European euonymus and wild garlic trees are frequent.