Villa Reale

The Orangery

Designed by the architect Piermarini in 1790 to contain citrus fruits and rare or exotic plants, the orangery is reached from the Cour d’Honneur of Villa Reale, through the Rose Garden. Following general renovation work, begun in 1985, it houses exhibitions of modern and contemporary art. The building, 100 metres long, 6 metres wide and 7 metres high, is in plastered brick and conserves the wooden trusses, while the original floor in natural cobblestones has been replaced by one in cotto.